I hope you have enjoyed my Blog. Please feel free to make any donations you feel it is worth. Help fund my next adventures and read all about it. El Gordeaux.
New York was fabulous, always is. We did come away with a new phrase S.O.L. We visited Sam Ash music on 48th street, soon to be no more in that location. The buildings have been sold and are being replaced with sky scrappers. They are moving more midtown in to one building. there goes the character.
I digress as usual. Terry was on the lookout for some uke bass strings to build his own when we get home. They had bass Ukes. The store guy got on the phone to see if he could track some down. He put down the phone "Sorry" he said "You are S.O.L". Oh ok said Terry. Pause........ "You know that phase?" "No" was the reply. "Shit Otta Luck!". No Uke bass strings today.
We left the Gershwin in plenty of time to zigzag our way through the crowds, traffic, and heat to Penn station in plenty of time to pick up our Amtrak train to New Orleans. Hot, sticky and a little grumpy we found ourselves in the lower atrium looking at a Walgreens store thinking supplies for the journey would be good. Popped in, picked up some drinks and nibbles, picked up our tickets from the automated ticket machine as I had pre booked and we found ourselves in a nicely air conditioned waiting area with free wifi. "trains on time according to the board" I said "Train No 19 from New York to New Orleans is delayed............ Standby for further announcements". Marvelous we were all looking forward to the 30 hours on the train, No, really! But I didn't fancy sitting around a train station. Why is that? I can only assume that we are wired to understand that as long as we are moving we are getting somewhere. Even if it was really slowly. Just sitting in a waiting room doesn't do it for me. Terry and I took a walk found a TGI Friday and had a beer. Funny I didn't mind "waiting" there?
We got on the train, the guard gave us a ticket with a "make sure you sit in those seats, this train is gonna be full". Surly Git!! There is no way that for the whole 1300 miles is going to be full.
We got underway mid afternoon settling into our seats. We could have had a sleeper car but decided to go for a reclining chair in the main train. We were on train 19 The Crescent click the link and take a look. I could list the stations and the route but it is better if you take a look. Route Guide. The train wasn't full from here but it did fill up and people got off so was always interesting to see the changes.
An hour or so in we made our way in to the next car which happened to be the bar area. We wandered in and there was a mountain of a woman. It was like a six foot version of Les Dawson in drag mode. I am not being unkind just painting a picture. "Awright lads what can Ay doo for yoo" I wasn't expecting a broad Yorkshire accent. "excuse me?" "What d'ya want t'drink?". We had just met Susan from Rotherham. This was her bar. And you'll know it, Doesn't take any nonsense and is as deadpan as .................. A dead pan!
She was great. Jack daniels for me and my buddies and we got chatting. She lived in Baton Rouge North of New Orleans. Met American hubby in the UK and lived in the states for 30 years. Spends her days and nights traveling on the Crescent running the bar car. If ever you ride the train say hello to her from Terry, Paul and me. Don't mention the Les Dawson bit!
She made phone calls on our behalf to see what music was on, drew maps and gave advice on wheres good and wheres not. Also, Terry had, during this trip, decided that he was going to attempt to collect commemorative Quarters that depict every state in the nation. Susan being a bar manager had may rolls of Quarters which she gave to us to sift through to see if we could make some impact on the collection. I believe that Terry was shy of only a couple once we left the train.
Should I say how beautiful the country is, rivers and mountains. Well I am not going to. It was a great trip, the seats reclined, loads of leg room and the people around you and are great to listen to and converse with.
Behind us was a group of Ladies from the south, Black ladies from the south. Listening to the southern drawl and the "noises" they make amused for hours. They really do use the rising and falling in volume mmmMMM!!! as per Tom and Jerry, you know the "legs" with the slippers and broom and the voice yelling "Thomasssss!" to get Jerry. Hold that thought. I am not trying to stereo type this woman, this really happened. It was around 1.30 - 2.00 am I had been snoozing along side Terry when the a fore mention "Lady" came back to her seat. She was slightly animated probably from something that had been going on in the bar car and maybe her intake. She sat down and said "mmmMMM Ahl tell y'all this is the last time I leave mah Water melons 'n' my chickens to go on a trip like this! Yes Sir mmmMMM". Solid gold. She got off in Birmingham Alabama! mmmMMM.
As we approached New Orleans I couldn't believe how quickly the time had gone. The train crossed lake Pontchartrain. That is a big expanse of water. We were there. We entered the city due north passing the cemeteries then along side the Superdome. Terrys Joke from Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake. Justin says to Janet. "Hey Janet this is a Suoer dome!" "Why thank you Justin!". Then the train reversed in to New Orleans station.
As we are about to disembark an announcement over the tannoy. "New Orleans, New Orleans...... Who Dat!!" I love Amtrak and those crazy announcers.
We took a taxi to the hotel, dropped off our stuff and entered "Bourbon street!"
Coming next Bourbon street, fried fish and Kermit Ruffins.... All Aboard!


No comments:
Post a Comment