Saturday, 22 September 2012

New Orleans Busking, "The Judge can hear you" and permit what permit?

I hope you have enjoyed my Blog. Please feel free to make any donations you feel it is worth. Help fund my next adventures and read all about it. El Gordeaux.


My faith restored in New Orleans.  (New Orleans no 4 I think) I was looking forward to the rest of our week.  Doing the touristy things of meandering through the streets, looking at the sites and listening to some of the street musicians we felt it was our turn to have a go in New Orleans.  It was late afternoon on Royal street outside the Louisiana state court house.  A building with a wide pavement outside that would be more than suitable for our busking efforts.  There was some steady footfall of tourists and we were far enough away from a guitarist on the corner as to not cramp his style.  We had around 40 minutes there going through our improving repertoire. I believe we were reasonably received by “our public”.


Time was moving on and we were going to see The Rebirth brass band tonight at their regular Tuesday night Gig at the Maple leaf bar on Oak street.  This was way across town from where we were in the French quarter so called for a taxi ride.  After a couple of Margaritas in the hotel bar we set off.  On arrival we needed dinner.  The Maple leaf wasn’t doing food tonight and the closest restaurant was “Squealers”.  Basically a BBQ pork joint.  It looked like it was a family business that had been in the same family for years.  The sort of place that families have been going for years which, over the generations sons of sons visit.  Nope!! Been open 2 years by a bloke that likes Barbequing.  It was quite acceptable, various bits of art work around the place all music related.  The art work extended to the table tops where they have been customised in the same style.

Full of pork and a couple of beers we wandered down the road to the Maple leaf.  Filling up now, extremely hot, massive crowd for a Tuesday night.  How come we can’t do this in the UK.  Now the Rebirth Brass band are loud, Very loud, made up of trumpets, trombones, sousaphone, drums amazing sound.  A fusion of high school brass band tunes, urban rap and jazz an incredibly unique experience.

I think it is very cool that it seen that playing a brass instrument is very very cool.  Small children walk around the streets with instruments learning to play while watching others.  The gangs they form aren't gangs they are bands.  We could learn something.

Next day.  We decided that we would do a bit more busking.  Off to the court house again.  We set up, started to play.  Very shortly in to our first tune an official looking chap came up to us.  “Have you got a permit?” Here we go again.  “No, I understand that since Katrina you didn’t need permits.” I said. “In any case the courthouse is sitting today and we can hear you inside so if you don’t mind....”  The courthouse is next to the police station on Royal street so we retreated, walked through Jackson square where proper musician were playing and set up by the Mississippi with Jackson square behind us.  It was nice just to be playing outdoor in the sun having fun. Video

We got a few dollars, but as I said previously it wasn’t about the money it was the fun of playing.

I decided that I was going to get a permit!!!  We visited the police station, they said they didn’t issue them we would have to go to City Hall.  Bit between my teeth 97o with humidity that made it feel like 111 o we set out across Canal street and in to the business district.  Arrived at City Hall went through airport style security, got to the room I needed.  “Hi we are in town for a while, we are playing instruments on the street and would like to apply for a buskers permit please”.  I got a blank look,  I repeated myself. “Hang on someone will come out to see you”.  A rather pleasant chap came out and explained that they haven’t issued permit for a couple of years as the street musicians, performers, tarot readers are in dispute with the city and taking them to court as, making them pay for or, even having to have a permit infringes the first amendment of the constitution as they have the right of free speech and expression so, they no longer issue permits.  “Oh, OK” I said “ I guess I can just go and play then anyway”.  “No, I didn’t say that, I said that we don’t issue permits”.  I kind of got a nod and a wink and he wished me well.

So, no permit for me as a souvenir.  As it turned out we didn’t play anymore on the street after this as Terry got a bit of “Saxophone lip”.  A sort of technical malfunction in the gob area which looked a bit painful.  I played a bit on my balcony after that.

Next More Fried fish and more Kermit.

No comments:

Post a Comment