Thursday, 13 September 2012

I hope you have enjoyed my Blog. Please feel free to make any donations you feel it is worth. Help fund my next adventures and read all about it. El Gordeaux.
You're not from round these parts are you?

23rd July New York

If you have ever been to New York in July or August you will know that it is hot, very hot! 90+ degrees.  The humidity is up there too making you sweat like the proverbial pig ( if there ever was a proverb about a pig?).  It is loud and oppressive. The buildings reflect the heat and light all around.  The people are an uncoordinated swarm scurrying in all directions, most of which are wearing some form of in-ear headphones probably listening to some mass produced over-manufactured dirge that no right minded individual would go anywhere near let alone plug in to.  The others plugged in to their "Cells" (mobile phones to you and me) Speaking very loud. And the bike messengers manage to go in every other direction to everything else without getting swished by a maniac in a yellow cab. " Get out the freakin' way you Freakin' Freak'" they would appear to say.  All in all it is a place that only a thoroughly bonkers individual would even contemplate going to.  I love it.

I was amazed at how cool (in the fashionable parlance and also the temperate parlance) the chaps looked in their incredibly stylish suits. I recall saying so to Terry.  He replied "they are probably those air conditioned suits fitted with a fridge unit" you know what?  I think he was right.

So This pair of perspiring travelers zigzaged their way from the corner of 7th Avenue and 33rd street outside the Pennsylvania Hotel across midtown Manhattan to the Gershwin Hotel on 27th street close to 5th avenue. More on the hotel a little later as it is worth it.  A lovely boutique hotel with lots of art lots of class and some fabulous staff.

We knew we were there when we saw the sign for the museum of sex.  In the window of this establishment was an elongated bicycle with a variety of contraptions attached and via a series of levers it was further attached to a large plastic dildo at the front of the vehicle.  Pedaling this contraption facilitated a thrusting motion to and fro of the plastic devise which, I am sure, if you got too close would probably have your eye out!
 24th July 

Part of our adventures was always going to be a bit of busking.  Now some people always ask "how much did you make" lets get this out of the way.  Between us less than $10.00.  We were not doing it for money it was for fun. After an arts a craft workshop with local New York artist Michael Albert.  More of him later. We decided we would go up to central park to have a play of our instruments in the open air just to see what it was like.  Terry has done busking before but I was giving my cherry to the people and visitors of New York.  We took the subway north entering the park around the south east corner. The place was heaving with people, horses dog walkers, kids, vendors all life was here.  We wanted a peaceful spot to practice.  We came across a quiet area after wandering around. We leaned against a rock and took our instruments from their respective cases.  I must say this was great fun.  Some people came quiet near sat down on the grass to listen.  Some folks stopped, lingered then moved on.  One young chap actually left the path to come over to us and put some cash into my guitar case,  That's it I have arrived, I am a musician being paid for delivering my craft.  I still have the 36 cents he put in.  I will not let the money or the fame change me in any way.

So I am leaning against the rock playing some blues in A and Terry is blowing his saxophone.  A wondrous arrangement of Professor Longhairs Mardi gras in New Orleans.  Through the trees emerged a female park ranger on a very large horse and behind her another ranger, a mustachioed gent very impressive  in the style of Jimmy Edwards.  Terry had his back to them and was giving the sax some stick.  He was going for it as they approached.  I didn't think they were going to put cash in the case but they were smiling as they got closer.  Terry had just about finished when he caught the image of a large brown equine creature in his peripheral vision.  "Have you got a permit for the amp?" inquired the female ranger " No I replied, we are just about done so will be leaving shortly".  "You're not from round these ere' parts are you?" said the gent " Nor are you" said I.  So we were about to be moved on from Central Park by a bloke from Somerset on a horse.  

Before we went the lady ranger queried of me "What is that?" she nodded towards my Canjo.  I explained that this was a home made instrument that I had put together one Sunday morning out of some spare guitar parts.  A piece of wood and a tomato can that really needs to be played via an amp so you can hear it.  So without a permit I had a command performance for a Park Ranger on a horse in Central park.  Don't think Jimmy Page could claim that.  I played she thanked me and the last I saw of our new ranger chums was a pair of large brown horses arses disappearing in to the trees.  Leaving the park we decided it was beer o'clock.





Coming next Michael Albert, Pop Art and the arrival of Paul.........











No comments:

Post a Comment