So Tuesday night 24th July. Successful first full day (so far). Paul is delayed around 30 mins on his flight from Manchester via Washington. He has the Long island railway to get from Newark NJ to Penn station then we can meet up and have some fun. Terry and I await the triumphant arrival of our chum at Jimmys BBQ next to Madison square Garden on 8th Avenue and 33rd street. Their strap line "put some south in your mouth". It was busy we took a window seat and had a pitcher of beer. Now I have been in this place a few times but tonight it really wasn't up to much. Not a lot of "southern hospitality y'all". The "Welcomer" on the door was a 6' 5" heap of misery. "If you don't sit up stairs you'll have to order at the bar y'self". As we were waiting for Paul we didn't care about that. However, when you serve yourself they still expect a tip of some kind, how does that work?
Paul arrived, he was that pleased to be there I got a big hug, we said our hellos and then we retraced our zigzag wanderings from the day before to get to the hotel with the usual chit chat about how flights were etc blah blah.
Paul really liked the hotel and was ready to go out as were we. It was now around 9.30-10pm and we decided to go across to 3rd avenue and 27th street where there was this bar that Terry and I had popped in to the night before that we liked. "The Rodeo bar". We went in I had a beer, Terry the same and Paul a Coke as after traveling was thirsty. Terry decided it wasn't for him tonight and fancying a bit of a wander took his leave. Paul and I ordered another beer and a coke and was ready to eat. I like steak Paul likes ribs. That is what we ordered. OMG as the young and trendy say in text speak.
The "food" arrived (the inverted commas will become clear). The steak looked good but to say it was tough is unfair to tough steak. Not to be one to complain I perceived. Paul was rather silent working his way through a rack of ribs smothered in BBQ sauce. He looked up saying "try one of these" I really didn't want to as I was having enough trouble. He insisted as he was questioning whether the meat was fit for human consumption. I took a nibble. These were seriously dodgy ribs. I was about to say we needed to do something but before I had a chance Pauls digestive system decided to take immediate. positive and decisive action returning everything back to his plate. It came back quicker than it went down. Placing his napkin on top of the now body temperature ribs he excused himself to find a room more suitable for this sort of thing.
The barman came across and with a cheery smile asked how everything was? I recounted the recent events. "Oh! Ok" he said "Sorry about that, I could probably sort you out with a couple of drinks?" Paul returned looking a little paler, a rib or so lighter and a slightly uncomfortable look on his face. He was closely followed by an irate chap yelling "I'm cutting you off. I said I am cutting YOU OFF!" This is American for "sorry old chap I believe that you may of had a glass of sherry or two too many so sorry but time for you to stop drinking" . I inquired as to is it because Paul was Yodeling in the bathroom. He said yes and on the stairs.
I attempted to explain that he as yet had not had any alcohol so if he was being as he eloquently put it being "cut off" then it should be the substandard food and coke form which "off he should be cut". I don't think he liked my reply. I asked for the manager as he was something of an upstart. The Manager duly came but I felt that satisfaction was not going to be forthcoming so quickly I fabricated an ace out of the air. "I am" I said "writing a travel article for the Daily Mail in the United Kingdom with my focus this evening being on customer service in the bars in the Mid town area of Manhattan". I wish I had a camera at that point. We got a full refund, an apology and a promise that Mr "I am cutting you off" would be dealt with.The evening was ours.
Paul felt a lot better at this point and we spent the next couple of hours with another new friend in an adjacent bar, his name is "Jack Daniels".
On the way back to the hotel we saw a film crew. This was a big production, several cameras, a large crew, tracks and Dollies and 3 or 4 catering vans (hope their dinner was better). We asked what were they filming and is anyone we know in it. It is a bit of a RomCom with Kiera Knightly in it. We had missed her by about 10 minutes. Paul myself and Jack didn't mind too much. We made our way back to the hotel and slept the sleep of the righteous.
Next I did promise Michael Albert, his Pop art and the Gershwin hotel.

No comments:
Post a Comment