Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Delusional scribblings of a would be travel writer/musician

I hope you have enjoyed my Blog. Please feel free to make any donations you feel it is worth. Help fund my next adventures and read all about it. El Gordeaux.
I have now had some time to reflect on my summer adventures so it is possibly time to pop them down before they become fuddled in my head and make absolutely no sense rather than the bizarre ramblings I am sure they already are.

Sunday 22nd July 2012.

After a meal at our favourite local restaurant in Louth Lincolnshire (The Antalya Turkish restaurant) with my wife and sons I drove to meet my brother at his house in Rugby Warwickshire to embark on a summer adventure with him and another.  It is Terrys retirement year.  Terry, my brother is 60.  Now we call it early retirement he on the other hand refers to it as "self un-employment".

I had had various conversations with Bro as to what he wanted to do to commemorate this milestone.  A variety of suggestions came forth, all of which I explored.  Each in turn became something else even though we only had 2 weeks for our adventures.  A final decision came from my learned elder sibling "I don't care what we do as long as it has stars and stripes on it".

Terry a consummate musician of some years with a bent on the peculiar ( that's where I get it from!) would appreciate a visit to see some Blues, Jazz, Pop, Rock whatever as long as the a fore mentioned stars and stripes were included along with a large portion of foot stomping rhythms.  So we are going to New York and New Orleans.

On arrival at his house he was already in "the mood".  It was essential that everything that could be consumed in the house had to be so before we departed as his wife Sue was also going on her own adventure to see her brother in Malaysia the same day we were going.  The "mood" I refer to was a quantity of Gin I believe just in case it "went off" while we were away.  As we were scheduled for an early flight from Birmingham Terry was going to cook breakfast before we left!!!  This could only ever turn out bad.

He was ordered to bed after a couple of bottles of wine were dispatched again in case they reached their sell by date while we were away.  We  were all now in the holiday mood.  Alarm set for 5am, As I stated to him that evening " We have to be away no later than 6am so we can park the car and get to the airport"

06.35 Monday 23rd July.

When Terry sets out to cook everything in the house for breakfast that is going to happen.  The pilot will have to wait.  Regardless of the fact that he knew we were parking off airport he did insist on directing me in the wrong direction to the airport instead.  My fault I listened to him.  Why did I do that?  I had booked everything to celebrate his achievement.(Because of my efforts I was reward  by my brother with the title ABTAMAN)  He just had to come along and have some fun so why is he directing me anywhere?.  Obviously we made the flight or this would be even more pointless than it already is and New York, the first part of our journey is only 7.35 minutes away. Shortly after mid day we landed in Newark, New Jersey. I love flying west you always benefit from the time difference.

Whats happened to the other traveler? You may be asking.  Well, he was meeting us in New York the following day.  Due to a minor cock up at his work he couldn't get the Monday off.  That was until he booked his flight when it came to pass that actually he could.

Next entry follows soon..........  How to get thrown out of Central Park by a bloke on a horse from Somerset.  The bloke that is not the horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment