Saturday, 15 September 2012

The Gershwin hotel, Michael Albert and a Canjo.

I hope you have enjoyed my Blog. Please feel free to make any donations you feel it is worth. Help fund my next adventures and read all about it. El Gordeaux.
So Paul arrived on the Tuesday evening, Terry and I did some busking in Central Park.  However earlier in the day Terry and I also met a chap called Michael Albert at the Gershwin hotel and we took part in his art workshop.

The Gershwin hotel is a fabulous place. Unique from the outside and within.  I have posted a picture of the outside and will post some of the interior in this section.  It is a venue for a variety of exhibitions and concerts throughout the year.  We were fortunate enough on our visit to meet Michael Albert.  His work although simple in idea is very complicated, labour intensive and very pleasing on the eye and soul. (Well I thought so).  The one thing Michael does not suffer from is a lack of self belief.  He is a charming witty and generous man.  Anyone who took part in the workshop received some personal attention and encouragement, he was happy to chat about anything that tickled your fancy, he gave away a poster of your choice and signed it for you and also a variety of his works in postcard format and he also gave me a t shirt.  Visit his website here Michaels website and see a video that was made by an Australian a while back.  You will get a flavour of his personality  and see some of his work Michaels video.  The workshop was also backed up with a range of his work in and around the lobby area.

Now staying at the Gershwin is like living in a Pop art museum.  Next to the Elevator is an signed Andy Warhol campbells soup can.  The elevator itself was put in as a piece of art.  When entering the elevator is a hologram of a chap in a bowler hat with an apple floating in front of his face and on every floor there is a range of art work from a variety of artists.  Another Andy Warhol link, the musical director at the hotel was quite a character.  He entered the hotel every afternoon with his wild hair in the style Mozart floating around his head.  He would stride through the lobby greeting who ever was there making his way to a grand piano in the back lobby, sit down and play something fabulous.  Every time I saw him he did this, I can only assume it is something of a ritual.  I was told that he was actually a personal friend of Andy Warhol.  Well this is the original Tin pan alley area where some decades ago was the hub of art and music in the mid town area.  The lobby is very casual with table and chairs and loungers scattered around the place.  There is also a fabulous coffee shop adjacent the lobby overlooked by the hotel library.  Yep it has a library/reading room also pretty well stocked.
  
So Where does the Canjo come in.  We saw Michael again after we returned from our busking.  He asked what it was.  I explained that this was my piece of art.  I plugged it in and showed him what it could do, it got a great reaction.  I can't claim to have done a gig at the Gershwin but the maintenance man wanted one of his own,  he Swiss tourists that came through wanted photographs take with it.  And Mr Warhols musical director gave a wry smile.  I like to think he approved but he probably thought I was a bit of a Pillock.

Coming next Nathans "Famous hot dogs" 30 hours on a train and Susan from Rotherham.

No comments:

Post a Comment